These Terms of Service (“Terms”) govern your use of the CrowdTangle services, website, and any other website or online service that CrowdTangle operates and that links to these Terms (collectively, the “Services”). These Terms are a legal contract between you and CrowdTangle Inc., a company based in Menlo Park, California, US 94025 so it is important that you review them carefully.
CrowdTangle processes personal information provided from you and publicly available information from other websites. Much of the personal information that CrowdTangle processes are publicly available online information, including information that Platform Partner users choose to make public on social media websites. Such information includes users' name, username, profile picture, content shared publicly, publicly posted content (such as photos and videos) which do not have a restricted audience, as well as available metrics in connection with such publicly posted content (such as “Like” count, comment count, timing of likes and comments, and post views). CrowdTangle accesses the information to provide aggregate analytics for purposes of measuring the performance of content, monitoring trends, and providing third-party fact-checking.
Subject to these Terms, CrowdTangle grants you a worldwide non-exclusive, non-transferable, freely revocable non-sublicensable license to access and use the Services. CrowdTangle reserves all rights not expressly granted herein in the Services. CrowdTangle retains title and ownership of all rights (including copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and all other intellectual property rights) in and to the Services.
You understand that the Services are built on APIs provided by CrowdTangle and third-parties. From time to time, there may be interruptions or adverse events related to those APIs that are no fault of CrowdTangle. You assume any risks associated with your use of our Services or content displayed on the Services.
Your Commitments to Us
1. When Signing Up
- When creating an account, you must provide us with complete and accurate information, and you must keep this information up to date.
- For business users, you represent and warrant that you are an authorized representative of the entity with the authority to bind the entity to these Terms, and that you agree to these Terms on the entity’s behalf.
- Each user account created must represent a person, not any sort of automated bot.
- By signing up for and using the Services, you agree that you are 13 years or older.
2. When Using CrowdTangle
- You may only use the Services to access content on CrowdTangle’s platform, and access, manage, and review content in accordance with these Terms.
- You may not access or use, or attempt to access or use, the Services to take any action that could harm us or any third-party, interfere with the operation of the Services, or use the Services in a manner that violates any laws. For example, and without limitation, you may not:
- search or attempt to access or search the Service by any means except through CrowdTangle’s available interfaces;
- use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose;
- impersonate any person or entity or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation;
- transfer, sell, disclose, or license any content from or content access through the Services without express written consent of CrowdTangle, including, but not limited to displaying content from CrowdTangle publicly or otherwise in an external format;
- engage in unauthorized spidering, “scraping,” or harvesting of content or personal information, or use any other unauthorized automated means to compile information;
- take any action that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our network or infrastructure;
- use any device, software, or routine to interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Service or any activity conducted on the Service or attempt to probe, scan, test the vulnerability of, or breach the security of any system or network;
- attempt to decipher, decompile, disassemble, or reverse-engineer any of the software comprising or in any way making up a part of the Service;
- submit content that infringes on the copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property rights of any third party, are false, misleading, libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, hateful, or sexually-explicit, violate a third party’s right to privacy or publicity, or degrade others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification;
- distribute any unauthorized materials or advertise or promote goods or services without our permission (including, without limitation, by sending spam); or
- engage in any other conduct that restricts or inhibits any person from using or enjoying the Services, or that, in our sole judgment, exposes us or any of our users, affiliates, or any other third party to any liability, damages, or detriment of any type.
Account Suspension and Termination
We may modify, suspend, or terminate your access to or use of our Services at any time for any reason without notice. The following provisions will survive any termination of your relationship with CrowdTangle: “License,” “Limitation of Liabilities,” “Disputes,” and “Miscellaneous.”
Limitation of Liabilities
We work hard to provide the best Services we can and to specify clear guidelines for everyone who uses them. Our Services, however, are provided "as is," and we make no guarantees that they always will be safe, secure, or error-free, or that they will function without disruptions, delays, or imperfections. To the extent permitted by law, we also DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. We do not control or direct what people and others do or say, and we are not responsible for their actions or conduct (whether online or offline) or any content they share (including offensive, inappropriate, obscene, unlawful, and other objectionable content).
We cannot predict when issues might arise with our Services. Accordingly, our liability shall be limited to the fullest extent permitted by applicable law, and under no circumstance will we be liable to you for any lost profits, revenues, information, or data, or consequential, special, indirect, exemplary, punitive, or incidental damages arising out of or related to these Terms or the Services, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. Our aggregate liability arising out of or relating to these Terms or the Services will not exceed the greater of $100 or the amount you have paid us in the past twelve months.
For any claim, cause of action, or dispute you have against us that arises out of or relates to these Terms or the Services ("claim"), you agree that it will be resolved exclusively in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California or a state court located in San Mateo County. You also agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of either of these courts for the purpose of litigating any such claim, and that the laws of the State of California will govern these Terms and any claim, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
We always appreciate your feedback and other suggestions about our Services, but you should know that we may use them without any restriction or obligation to compensate you, and we are under no obligation to keep them confidential.
Updating these Terms
We may change these Terms or modify any features of the Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of changes by updating the “Effective Date” in these Terms. You accept the Terms by using the Services, and you accept any changes to the Terms by continuing to use the Services after we post the changes. If you do not agree to these Terms, do not access or use these Services.
- These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and us concerning the Services. In the event any provision of these Terms is held unenforceable, it will not affect the validity or enforceability of the remaining provisions and will be replaced by an enforceable provision that comes closest to the intention underlying the unenforceable provision.
- You agree that no joint venture, partnership, employment, or agency relationship exists between you and us as a result of these Terms or your access to and use of the Services.
- If we fail to enforce any of these Terms, it will not be considered a waiver. Any amendment to or waiver of these Terms must be made in writing and signed by us. Nothing contained in these Terms is in derogation of our right to comply with governmental, court, and law enforcement requests or requirements relating to your use of the Services or information provided to or gathered by us with respect to such use.
- We may assign, subcontract, or transfer these Terms or any of our rights or obligations in them, in whole or in part, without our prior consent, provided this will not lead to any reduction of the rights you are entitled to by virtue of these Terms or by law. You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under these terms without our consent.