Who We Are
CrowdTangle Inc is the company that controls the use of your information.
Information We Collect
CrowdTangle collects or receives information when people use our Services, such as:
- Information you or others provide. We collect the content and other information you or others provide when you use our Services, such as account information your employer provides and information you provide when you create an account or log into our Services.
- Information gathered while using our Services. We also collect information about how you use or otherwise interact with our Services. For example, we will collect information about when and how often you log in to the Services and your location time zone.
- Device information. We collect information from or about the devices you use to access our Services, such as the operating system, browser, device identifiers, device settings, and other information that you permit our Services to access from your device.
- Third party partners and integrations. In order for the Services to operate properly, they integrate with third-party partners. For example, when you log into our Services using your account on another service (e.g. Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.), you permit us to connect to the account and access or collect information related to that account. Such information may include your name and other personal information associated with your other account.
- Our Service Providers. We also use third party suppliers to provide, for example, customer support services, analytics services, bug fixing or data hosting services and we will share your information for these product related purposes and customer support purposes. Our Services may contain links to and from third party services. If you follow such links to any of these services, please note that they have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies.
How We Use Information We Have
We use the information described above to:
- Provide, improve and develop our Services. We use the information we have to provide, evaluate and improve our Services, to understand how the Services are used, to develop new products or features, and to conduct audits and troubleshooting activities. We also use the information we have to deliver personalized reports and information for you and others, test features in development, and analyze the information we have. We use automated decision making technologies to provide personalized analytics so that you and other users of our Services can be informed about what’s trending and competitor analytics etc. We use our proprietary algorithms for this purpose.
- Communicate with you. We use the information we have, including your contact information, to communicate with you about your account and our Services, to send you marketing communications that we think you may be interested in, and to otherwise let you know about our products, services, policies and terms. When we send you marketing communications you can unsubscribe at any time by following the relevant link. We also use the information we have to respond to you when you contact us.
- Promote safety and security. We use information we have to promote safety and security on our Services and to investigate the use of our Services, including any suspicious activity or possible violations of our terms and policies.
Cookies and other technologies
How Information is Shared
We may share the information we have in the following circumstances, or in other circumstances with your permission.
- Service providers. We may share the information we collect with vendors, service providers, researchers and other partners, who work at our direction to support the Services (such as hosting our Services, fulfilling orders, analyzing the way people use our Services, providing customer service, or sending electronic communications for us).
- Shared Dashboards. When you access any shared dashboard, you enable other people that access the dashboard to see your name, email address or other contact information associated with your account.
- Sharing within Facebook Companies. We may share information within the family of related companies that are legally part of the same group of companies that CrowdTangle is part of, or that become part of that group, such as Facebook. You can learn more about these companies here. Facebook and the other companies in the Facebook family may use information from us to improve your experiences within their services and the shared services of the Facebook family, and to communicate with you to provide information regarding products or services you may be interested in.
- Other parties in connection with certain business transactions. In the event the ownership of CrowdTangle (or any portion of our assets) changes as a result of a merger, acquisition, or in the event of a bankruptcy, information we have, including information from or about you, may be transferred to another acquiring company.
Responding to Legal Requests and Preventing Harm
We need to process your personal information in order to deliver our Services. When you choose to set custom notifications or if you set up an automated internal social report or a Slack webhook, it is necessary for us to process your personal information on an ongoing basis to deliver those features as part of our Terms of Service with you. When we process data that you provide to us as necessary for performing our contracts with you, you have the right to port it under the GDPR.
We may also rely on our legitimate interests in processing your personal information so that we can offer and develop the Services for the use of others. In these cases, we balance your interests and ours by ensuring that your personal information is only shared publicly where you have chosen to make it public, while you are using our Services. You have the right to object to, and seek restriction of, such processing.
We will also process and disclose your personal information where we have a legal obligation or where we respond to legal requests as described below.
We may ask for your consent to certain uses of your information, for example to send you marketing materials and in those cases you can provide, withhold or subsequently withdraw your consent as you wish. When we process data that you provide to us based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time and to port that data you provide to us, under the GDPR.
You are not permitted to use the Services if you are under 18 years of age.
Responding to Legal Requests and Preventing Harm
We may access, preserve and share information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of our offices in the United States or Ireland if we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards.
We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud or other illegal activity; to protect our Services, you and others, including as part of investigations; or to prevent death or imminent bodily harm.
Information we receive about you, including financial transaction data related to purchases made on or through our Services, may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our Terms of Service for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms.
Your Rights in Your Information
We store information for as long as it is necessary to provide our Services and for a period (typically of two years) after you cancel your account, for evidential or legal purposes.
If you would like information about how to access, rectify or delete information associated with your account or if you are in the EU and you wish to exercise your rights of restriction, data portability or objection, including as described in How We Use Information We Have above, you can contact us at email@example.com. If you contact us, please provide us with sufficient information to validate your enquiry and locate your personal information.
International Data Transfers
CrowdTangle hosts your personal information in the United States and we use service providers inside and outside of the US to support the 24/7 availability of our Services globally. It is necessary to transfer your information to our affiliates and our service providers across borders, including to countries with data protection laws that differ from those in the US or the EU. This includes countries who are not deemed by the EU to have an adequate level of data protection. Where we transfer personal information to these countries, we will ensure that there are appropriate safeguards in place where required by law. These may include the use of EU-approved "Standard Contractual Clauses" or ensuring that US service providers who process your information are certified under the EU-US Privacy Shield.
Our Data Protection European Representative is FB Representative Services Designated Activity Company. You can contact them at 4 Grand Canal Square, Grand Canal Harbour, Dublin 2, Ireland.
Date of Last Revision: May 25, 2018